02 May, 2009

A taste of chaos















And I start with a random seeming webcomic post, because its my favorite flavor of crazy, and because I couldn't find anything specifically appropriate to the post.


So yes, the Beach Trip was fantastic. It was organized by some Pagan type friends, so there was a brief ritual sort of thing... but not really. It involved everyone standing in a circle, and a bottle of honey whiskey (delicious, must find out what brand it was) being passed around. Each person, as the bottle comes to them, makes a toast or comment of some sort...

Its a bit like some Thanksgiving dinners I've been to, where each person says something that they're thankful or happy for... or a few New Years things I've been to where each person makes a resolution or wish for the coming year.

New years is more appropriate, as Beltaine (May 1st) is the beginning of the new year for some pagan types, and the whole get together is in part a starting out the new year kind of deal.

My toast? "To getting it right this time."

After the circle broke there was hippie-like singing (complete with someone playing guitar), some more drinking though not to the point that anyone actually got drunk. It was very mellow, content, people curling up and snuggling and such type of a thing.

Well, of course there was also skinny dipping (aka clothing optional swimming). Yes, I exercised my option to not go naked :P It felt good though, being in the water with friends under the stars and half-ish moon. The waves crashed over us like a mob of over-eager puppies while we laughed and joked and tried not to swallow a gallon of salt water. I resisted the urge to just drift off on my own, and stuck with the buddy system.

No fire, I don't think its allowed there, but after we dragged our soggy selves out of the air the weather was wonderfully mild. Most of us changed into (or put on, for the skinny-dippers) dry clothing or at least wrapped up in towels so that we'd be dry for the drive home but... it wasn't cold coming out, it felt good.

The last couple hours of the night involved pairs and groups flopping onto shared towels, blankets, or patches of sand to cuddle and talk and such. I spent the majority of that time just sitting back and watching, enjoying a feeling of complete serenity and contentment.

Wherever I drift in my wanderlust driven adventures, every time I go to the beach I know that there's at least one place that I belong. I'd almost say it feels like home, but that begs the question of whether home is a tangible thing, a location, or merely a sense of well-being? I'll let the philosophers puzzle that one out, the mechanics don't really interest me. I just know its right, I belong near the Ocean.

BTW Yes, we did clean up and take away everything that we brought along. Well, everything except for the sandal that Candy managed to lose :)

No comments: