23 March, 2011

Adventures of a Receptionist

A brief sampling of daily conversations:
 
Caller: "Somebody from this number called, can I talk to them?"
Me: "I'm sorry, I have no way of knowing which of our people tried to call, do you have someone you normally speak to? Did you leave a message for someone to call you back about one of our products?"
Caller: "Yes, but I don't remember the name."
Me: "Did they leave a voicemail?"
Caller: "Oh I guess I could check that..."
 
 
Me: "Good morning, [Company Name]!"
Caller: "Who?"
Me: "[Company Name]"
Caller: "Is this [some other company's name]"
Me: "No, this is [Company Name]."
Caller: "Are you sure you arent [some other company's name]?"
Me: "Absolutely possitive, we're [Company Name], did you mean to call [Company Name]?"
Caller: "I guess not. Can you put me through to [other company]?"
Me: "I'm sorry, we're not even in the same field as that company, you'll have to hang up and dial their number."
Caller: *click*
Me: "Good Morning, [Company Name]!"
Caller: "This isn't [other company's name]?"
Me: "I'm sorry, this is still [Company Name.]"
Caller: "Well you said call back, I hit redial and..."
Me: "I'm sorry. You need to hang up and manually dial the different number, we have nothing to do with [other company name]. Redial will just send you back to me again, and I can't do anything to help you."
Caller: *click*
 
Caller: "I need to speak with a salesperson or estimator."
Me: "Sure thing, what would the product be?"
Caller: "I just need a salesman"
Me: "I understand, I just need to know what the product is so I can transfer you to the person who handles that."
Caller: "Just give me the sales department."
Me: "Our company doesn't have a generic sales department, we have several departments, with various salespeople handling specific products, if you can tell me what type of product you're looking for, I can give you to the person who handles it."
Caller: "Oh, I need [product]"
Me: "Thank you, one moment please."
 
Caller: "I need to speak with [salesman]"
Me: "He's on another phonecall right now, I can give you his voicemail..."
Caller: "No, I need to talk to him right now."
Me: "I'm sorry he's not available at the moment, if you leave a voicemail he can get back to you when he finishes with the customer he's currently speaking with."
Caller: "Can't you just run over and tell him its me, I'm sure he's waiting to hear from me."
Me: "I'm sorry, most of our sales department is in a completely different building and I'm not allowed to be away from my desk."
Caller: "You can't just run and tell him I need to talk to him?"
Me: "No, I'm sorry, but I can put you through to his voicemail so you can ask him to call you back."
Caller: "Can I just give you the message to have him call me?"
Me: "I can write down your information, but since he's in a different building I only see him once or twice a day, honestly you will get a response much faster if you leave a voicemail which he can check as soon as he's available."
Caller: "Oh, okay..."
 

No comments: